Tuesday 21 October 2014

Cosy crochet slipper tutorial

I've been wanting to crochet a pair of slippers for absolutely YONKS. I tried and failed at making the beautiful slippers in my Japanese crochet book, and didn't fancy making thick, chunky boots. Just something simple to slip over bare feet or tights, in economical DK yarn. 

I spotted the ever-so-lovely Paula (@polly_pet) on Instagram had made her own pair inspired by some she had seen on Pinterest, and she kindly advised me on how she made hers. I just couldn't get them to work like that, either. Either too long, or too tight, or too wide. My feet are quite wide, you see. So after an evening or two of trial and error I finally came up with a workable design, and here it is. Hook them up to your heart's content! They'll make lovely (sorry) Christmas presents! 



They're ladies sizes, and crocheted in DK yarn so ideal if you have stash that needs using up. 

The pattern is worked in rounds until the piece measures the ideal length until you hit your ankle. I've written the pattern in three sizes- SMALL (size 36/37), MEDIUM (size 38/39) and LARGE (size 40/41). Size medium and large are in the brackets. If you need to adjust the length, just add extra rows or stop as you get to your ankle, basically. The the remaining piece is worked back and forth.

All terms are UK, if you're in the US please note this is all worked in hdc and sc :) 

You will need:



  • 100g DK Yarn (I used 2 x 50g balls of Drops Karisma bought at a bargain price from the shop where I teach), plus extra contrasting yarn for pom poms
  • 4mm hook
  • 2 stitch markers (free gift with issue 24 of Simply Crochet! more on that later...)
  • Some spare time (lucky you!)
  • A good film (I recommend I Capture the Castle, which is what I watched while I hooked these up)

To begin, Ch4, join with ss into ring.
  1. Ch2 (counts as htr), 11htr into ring, join with as into ch-2. [12 sts]
  2. Ch2 (counts as htr), 2htr into each st around, 1htr into last st. Join with ss into ch-2. [24 sts]
  3. Ch2 (counts as htr), *2htr into next st, 1htr into next, repeat from * to last st, 2htr into last st, join with ss into ch-2. [36 sts]
  4. Ch2 (counts as htr), 1htr into each st around, join with ss to ch-2. [36 sts]
  5. Repeat round 4 17 (19, 21 times more). Fasten off.                                                


Positioning the joining seam so that it sits at the sole of the slipper, place two stitch markers 7 sts apart at the top of the work, to indicate the 9 st space for the foot opening. Rejoin the yarn in the st next to the marker,


Heel: 
  1. Ch 2 (does not count as htr), 1htr into  same st as ch-2, work 1htr into each of the next 26 sts. Turn.
  2. Repeat as above 9 times. 
Assembly: With right sides facing place ends of slipper together and slip stitch to join together. Fasten off.

To finish: 
Rejoin yarn at seam and dc around edge, working 1dc into each row end and 1dc into each front st. Fasten off.


Make up 2 x 30mm Pom Poms in whichever manner your prefer (I use the clever Clover Pom Pom makers- so quick!) and attach. Weave in any remaining ends. Pop on feet and enjoy. 
        
Apologies for the rubbish pictures, I thought I ought to quickly snap what I was doing but the light was poor and my lens is still scratched. 

But I sure do love these slippers! And so will you. Happy feet all around. 

TTFN 
xxx

2 comments:

  1. Hi ! (Sorry for my english, I'm french) Thank you for this pattern, I'm trying it right now ! But I don't understand the heel part :

    " Heel:

    Ch 2 (does not count as htr), 1htr into same st as ch-2, work 1htr into each of the next 26 sts. Turn.
    With right sides facing place ends of slipper together and slip stitch to join together. Fasten off.

    Assembly : With right sides facing place ends of slipper together and slip stitch to join together. Fasten off."

    I think that a part is missing. There is twice the same instruction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're completely right! I'm so sorrt, I'll amend it now. x

      Delete

Hello! Thanks for stopping by to read. I've enabled Disqus so if I don't reply to your comment here, please know that I read and treasure every word. Let's stay in touch! I'm also found on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Let's be friends.