Thursday 20 June 2013

You gotta have rain to make a rainbow...

Since having a baby and a three-year-old at home, I have little time to crochet these days. Breastfeeding takes up a lot of time and energy, and of course my hands! So I'm rather pleased I have finished something at all! In May, I began a new blanket for my new nephew, Asa. I wanted something bright, with a simple pattern I could pick up and work on easily. So I decided on a granny stripe! Simple and easy, I can do it without looking even. As the pattern is so simple, I opted for some really striking colours to bring the blanket to life. So here's a pictorial journey of a blanket...







So.... there it is! Another baby blanket. This one measures around 85cm x 85cm, so it's nice and big for young Asa to snuggle under for years to come. 

Here is the recipe...
  • Pattern is a standard granny stripe (see 'Vintage Stripes' in 500 Crochet Blocks) with a starting chain of 120ch. For the border I worked 3tr into each space along all edges of the blanket, before working a row of dc in each colour, and finally the white 'clouds': *3tr, ch 3, 3tr into st, miss 2st, dc into next.
  • Yarn is Annell Rapido from the Yvestown Shop- currently 30 per cent off (until July 2013). I used one 50g ball each of red, orange, yellow, granny smith green, cyan blue, indigo and lilac (in place of violet), and four balls of off-white.
I also had enough yarn left over to make an additional baby gift in the shape of this mobile...
 Yet more baby talk I know, but it just seems to be my speciality at the moment! I have one more little bay project to reveal now it has been gifted. Stay tuned for more baby blanket talk another day!!!

Happy hooking!

3 comments:

  1. It's brilliant, yes find the time when you can! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wool colours are lovely Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a cheery blanket... and love the border and sweet clouds! The Annell Rapido is great - I'm happily using it for my current pick it up whenever a spare minute crochet blanket...

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for stopping by to read. I've enabled Disqus so if I don't reply to your comment here, please know that I read and treasure every word. Let's stay in touch! I'm also found on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Let's be friends.