Wednesday 26 January 2011

The Obsessions Series: Baking Books

Apologies for my absence lately, I had a three day migraine that totally wiped me out. Eight months of broken nights and stressful, busy days with the little man are taking their toll! I'm finding motherhood hard on days like these; although he is very bright and loving my boy still doesn't sleep well and lately we've been struggling to get a decent amount of food in him. I'm also still breastfeeding which seems to be all night long at the moment, I don't think it can go on much longer. Today he is just standing up next to me chatting away and trying desperately to type on the laptop. He just wiped my last post so I'm starting again. Again. Grrr. Anyways, onwards with my first in a series of small obsessions of mine. With the little man occupying about 90 per cent of my mind, this little series will show just what occupies the other ten per cent.


First up...baking books! Now, these days I don't get much time to bake very often and I have to say I do have favourite cake recipes. The banana loaf from Miss Dahl's Voluptuous Delights is particularly good, and every recipe from Nigella Lawson's How to Be Domestic Goddess is great, especially the Madeira cake. However if, like now, I need to eat with my eyes rather than my stomach then I indulge in a feast for the eyes with this little(ish) pile of lovelies.

This first page is from The Whoopie Pie book by Claire Ptak of The Violet Bakery, a recent aquisition from my sister-in-law. Mmmmm rose pistachio whoopies. They look delicate and delicious, non?

This next one is from the Hummingbird Bakery cookbook. Lavender cupcakes! So pretty. I'd love to make these, they'd be perfect for a wedding.


This spread is from Cupcakes from the Primrose Bakery. The buttercream icing recipe is a favourite of mine and the cake decorating tutorials are great!


Here are a couple of very pretty spotty numbers. The Cupcake Book was the first one I got as a present, and kick-started a trend! The green spotty one, Baking Magic, was for Christmas from the talented Amy, who really encouraged me to bake and she makes fantastic fairy cakes!

This one is a new favourite! Aaaah, isn't it lovely? Full of cakes, pies and allsort. Perfect for creating a lovely tea party, every page is just lovely.

Did you watch The Great British Bake Off on the BBC? I really liked it, plus I love Mel and Sue. I don't think I'm nearly good enough to compete in it myself though I do make a good pie. Maybe after a few years of mummyhood I'll have nailed the perfect Victoria sponge. And join the WI!

Ahhhh, the piece de resistance....look at that dresser with the beautiful china! And Emma Bridgewater crockery....and a cottage...and a spotty plate or two...a union jack here and there. Smashing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for stopping by to read. I've enabled Disqus so if I don't reply to your comment here, please know that I read and treasure every word. Let's stay in touch! I'm also found on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Let's be friends.