Wednesday, 27 March 2013

More gifts for babies...

Eeeek I've done it again! Another fortnight without a post! Naughty. Anyway, I have lots to share over the next couple of weeks so I'm hoping my blogging mojo will return to me. As I mentioned in my last post, everyone keeps having babies. So everyone keeps getting handmade gifts!

I worked hard on another idea for a new blanket, one that's been swimming around in my head for an AGE. Last year I bought a lots of Annell Cotton 8 from the Yvestown Shop (currently there is a 20% sale- quick, quick!) and I was at a loss what to do with it. Well, after the success of Ted's blanket, I decided the vintage colours I had chosen would be perfect for a baby girl. Not just any baby girl, but that of my dear friends Hannah and Joe. They are the brains and muscle behind Make, Do and Mend, and have a beautiful vintage vibe about them.

So here is the progress of the blanket I made for their new arrival, Lily-Beatrice...






The blanket is a long, thin shape but the granny border kinda balances it out I think!

The pattern for the blocks is a mixture. I worked the first rounds (the central Dahlia-shaped flower) from the gorgeous Something Pretty pattern,  then went 'off piste' (as I often do-which my friend Kerry pointed out last week) and decided to alter the surrounding square so it was bigger, with more impact. Otherwise, it would have been too cluttered with small tiny squares. So I worked round 4 as follows:

Join in contrasting colour in any ch sp. 3ch, 2tr, 2ch, 3 tr into ch sp. *Into next ch sp work 3htr, 3dc into next ch sp, 3htr into next ch sp, then 3tr, 2ch, 3tr into next. Repeat from * until you get to corner, join with ss. 

Ss into corner ch sp, then worked round 5 as a normal granny square.

I made 40 squares in total, but then only used 35 of them. I used a 3.5mm hook, and the border is made of eight rows of granny stripe. Simple! But effective, yes? The cotton has a lovely drape to it and is incredibly soft- in fact this blanket is really tactile with its 3D flowers and joining seam. I love it. What do you think?

I had plenty of yarn left over, so I made a couple of tiny bibs from Nicki Trench's book Cute and easy Crochet, and I also made this beautiful garland...

I am in love with this item. The design is by Emma Lamb, whose beautiful colour choices and neat, crochet has been an inspiration to me for a while. The pattern was in the last issue of Mollie Makes magazine, and I have to say it was a total pleasure to construct. I am looking forward to making a ton of these!

Well, that's it for Lily-Bea's gifts. I'm now finally onto some crafting for my own bubba, due in less than 8 weeks! Eeeeek! I have a jumper to sew up, a cardigan to hook, two blankets to make and a rug to hook up (in exciting Hoopla yarn) in this time, as well as a blanket to make for my new nephew- due just four days after us!It should certainly keep me out of mischief for the time being...

Happy hooking!
xxx

9 comments:

  1. I used the popcorn flowers to make a blanket for my new Grandaughter Ramona, I think they look lovely, I love your colour combinations and the granny border is beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
  2. the colours are lovely, so exciting to be making for a new baby x x x have fun x x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pattern looks lovely, just beautiful for a little baba! Chel x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the garland! So pretty. Do you have an Etsy shop - I'd love to buy one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't I'm afraid jack, though the pattern's designer Emma Lamb does. I'm not sure it's allowed to sell garlands made by someone else's pattern? But when I get the chance I'll make you one as a special gift :)

      Delete
  5. You have some very lucky friends! Beautiful colours!xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe you only have eight weeks left - how exciting! What a beautiful blanket - the edging is perfect. Lucky baby!
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know- eight weeks will fly by! Haven't got much to do really, just build the crib and make sure my body holds together in the interim!

      Delete
  7. Lovely blanket. Do those squares use a lot of yarn? I loved making one of those flower garlands too.
    Have a great Easter!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for stopping by to read. I've enabled Disqus so if I don't reply to your comment here, please know that I read and treasure every word. Let's stay in touch! I'm also found on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Let's be friends.